A surgeon is a doctor who specializes in surgery. The basic task of the surgeon is to perform invasive and non-invasive procedures on the human body. Through these procedures, the surgeon tries to get rid of the patient from the disease or get rid of deformities and injuries. A surgeon has several specialties. You can become a general surgeon, neurosurgeon, heart surgeon, plastic surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, oncologist or even an eye surgeon. When you undergo a medical procedure, you will find that the surgeons have a team to help them. Moreover, some employees also take care of all the preparations for the operation.
The surgeon must have a thorough knowledge of the anatomy and function of the body. A surgeon must also have great stamina, precision and skill. Some operations can take a very long time, so the surgeon must have good stamina. If the surgeon has these skills, he can do his job well. Are you also interested in the company? You want to be a surgeon? Well, we’re here to give you the right advice. In this article, we have included a lot of information on how to become a surgeon in India. Take a look at the section below and we are sure you are on the right track for your career.
Primary responsibilities of the surgeon
It is important to understand what you will be doing after you become a surgeon. In this section we have listed the duties and responsibilities of the surgeon. Check them out below.
- The surgeon’s main job is to understand the patient’s health and medical history.
- The surgeon should communicate with the patient and help answer any questions or concerns about the patient’s well-being.
- The surgeon must be able to recommend treatment and diagnostic tests to the patient. The surgeon must also perform a cause analysis of the treatment.
- The surgeon should review the patient’s test results and diagnostic reports. The surgeon should also keep the patient informed of the course and outcome of the treatment.
- The surgeon should also provide information about the patient’s postoperative care. This helps the patient understand what to do during the recovery period.
Skills required for the profession of surgeon
It takes many skills to become a good surgeon. Becoming a surgeon is an important step in the life of a doctor. You have to be very determined to become a surgeon because it is a very serious profession. Besides soft skills, there are many other things you need. See the list below.
- You need to stay focused and calm in an emergency. This skill allows you to handle farm emergencies.
- You’ll be able to work long hours. Due to the demand for surgeons, they have a severe sleep deprivation. Even then you have to work hard, because there is no room for error.
- You must have good concentration and a very stable mental state during the operation.
- Patience and coordination are other important skills a surgeon needs, and these are skills you should possess. You will be working with a team of surgeons and assistants, so you must be a team player.
- You shouldn’t be prejudiced or judgmental. During your career, you will meet people of all races, and you should help them with a selfless attitude.
Suitability for surgical training
In this part of the article, we have listed the criteria for becoming a surgeon. You can check this data and understand your chances of becoming a surgeon.
- To become a surgeon, you must first have a master’s degree in surgery. This is the basic qualification to become a surgeon. However, to become a surgeon, you must meet certain basic criteria.
- To qualify for the MS, you must have completed 10+2 with at least 60% marks. In addition, you must have obtained your MBBS from an institute recognized by the MCI.
- The duration of the master’s is three years, and you can only choose this degree after you have completed your MBBS.
Areas of MS and surgery
There are several specializations available in MS. You can go through them below and it will help you make a plan for the future. Specializations available for the MS
- General surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
You may have noticed that we have not included specialties such as urology, cardiothoracic surgery and plastic surgery in the above list. If you want to work in any of these fields, you will need to obtain an M.Ch. degree after the MS. M.Ch. candidates are permanent residents for the duration of the training and the total duration of the training is three years. It is also the time when the student is in training.
If you are a surgeon talking about different areas, you can read the details below.
- Cardiothoracic surgeon
- General surgeon
- Oncological surgeon
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- orthopedic surgeon
- pediatric surgeon
- Vascular Surgeon
Becoming a surgeon – admission process and route
We went over all the details of MS. It is also very important to understand the process of becoming a surgeon. Let’s go through these details. In this section we have listed the entire registration process.
- If you are eligible for MS, you must take entrance exams to be admitted to MS.
- Some of the most popular entrance exams for MS are NEET PG, DUPGMET, UPPGMEE and AIPGMEE. You must register and prepare for the exam.
- You must now take and pass the exam. You must have sufficient points to meet the selection criteria of the university you are interested in.
- After the entrance exam, you will need to have a personal interview, followed by a document check and submission of documents for payment.
- Once this is done, you can begin your formal education. Here you can also choose a specialization, depending on the field that appeals to you.
Perspectives and future of surgery
Once you complete your formal education, you have many options. In this section, we examined the perspective of surgeons and the future of surgery. First, let’s talk about job prospects. Surgeons can find employment in minor surgery clinics, hospitals, subspecialty clinics, the public sector and other private sectors. There are significant opportunities in these sectors. Usually, working in multi-specialty hospitals is considered a blessing. There are many possibilities and opportunities for growth in this sector. You may even work with medical companies that make medical equipment for operating rooms, or companies that invest heavily in research.
Once you gain experience, you can even work as a visiting surgeon in different hospitals. This will help you improve your career prospects. You can progress very quickly and you get paid very well. To get this opportunity, you will have to work very hard in the first years of your career. There is a long list of hospitals in India and we will not go into details. As far as salaries are concerned, the starting salary of a general surgeon is close to 10 lakh. A surgeon with 5-10 years of experience can earn around 15 lakhs. If you cross the 20-year mark, you will earn more than Rs 35 lakhs a year. The above figures are indicative and much depends on your feedback, organisation, level of education and specialisation.
Finally, we want to talk about the future of surgery. Technology changes a lot, and surgical procedures change a lot too. Procedures and equipment are constantly evolving, greatly reducing the risks to the patient. We see the future of surgery in robot-assisted surgery and non-invasive procedures. Many hospitals have adapted to the new procedures, and these methods also significantly speed up the healing process. The robotic arms can manipulate the patient with great precision. Microcams allow the doctor to look inside the patient.
Another emerging area of surgery is tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Here, doctors use biomaterials to help patients recover. For example, using scaffolding or stem cells to help the patient cope with the problem. The foreign biological material can help the patient by repairing the tissue. The field is still under development. However, there are some countries where the use of artificial cartilage and skin is allowed. The time is not far when people will be able to grow organs from patients’ cells. We have listed this information about the future of surgery because we want you to be aware of future developments while you are training to be a surgeon.
The demand for surgeons in India is increasing and hence a surgeon is a good option for you. To become a surgeon, you have to work hard. You will need to decide whether you want to become a general surgeon or whether you want to specialize. Follow-up by a doctor is mandatory. You can even opt for a PhD programme. Start at a young age if you want to be a surgeon. Students need to hone their skills before embarking on these careers. You have to be very focused on your career path to become the best surgeon in your field.
We have tried to cover all the details in the article and we hope you have found most of the information in this article. If you’re still looking for information but can’t find it in the article, you can send us an email in the comments section. We will help you find the answers you are looking for so you can become the best surgeon in your field.
frequently asked questions
How many years does it take to become a surgeon in India?
Medical training in the major specialties takes 3 years in the case of MD / MSc in Surgery under MBBS (MD for medics and MSc in Surgery for aspiring surgeons). The MBBS training takes two years.
How much does it cost to become a surgeon in India?
The increasing competition for medical places in the state, coupled with the dwindling number of places in government institutions, has led to an increase in the number of private and established medical colleges offering between Rs 5-50 million per annum for an MBBS course, as opposed to a government medical college where …
How to become a surgeon after 12 years?
If a doctor…